Pages

Saturday, April 25, 2009

ANZAC Day


Today is a special day for all Australians - it's ANZAC Day! Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. It is commemorated by both countries on 25th April every year to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey. It is also a day to remember all our brave men and women who have fought for their country!
The day usually begins with a Dawn Service - and these are held around the world and in every major Australian city. I had the honour of attending the dawn service in Singapore on the 60th anniversary of the fall of Singapore, we were living there at the time. We had to walk through the graveyard to attend the service and my daughter sang with the Australian International School choir. I was amazed at how emotional the whole event was - most of us were very sombre and a little red eyed as we left - but it was a great thing to experience.
I spent the afternoon today with a few fellow SU Demos - we had a fabulous time and Yvonne had organised for us to bring some "make & take" shoebox swaps - it was sooo much fun and I'll post what we did when I get a chance to take some pics - no daylight left today!! Spending the afternoon with friends is a great way to spend the day!!
One tradition of the day is the baking of Anzac Biscuits. Some say that they started as biscuits made by the Troops in the trenches with provisions they had at hand to relieve the boredom of their battle rations. And some say they came about due to resourceful of the women on the "home front" in an endeavour to make a treat for their loved ones that would survive the long journey by post to the war front. I've found a simple recipe from here and have popped it below for you to try! They are very addictive and well loved!! Hope you give them a go and spare a thought for our armed forces while you do!!
Ingredients
1 cup plain flour (all purpose)
1 cup rolled oats (regular oatmeal) uncooked
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp golden syrup (or honey)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp boiling water

Method
Combine the flour (sifted), oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.
Melt the butter and Golden Syrup (or honey) in a saucepan over a low heat..
Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add to the butter and Golden Syrup.
Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix well.
Spoon dollops of mixture, about the size of a walnut shell, onto a greased tin leaving as much space again between dollops to allow for spreading.
Bake in a moderate oven, 180C / 350F, for 15-20 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack and seal in airtight containers.

Tips
The American tablespoon is a little smaller than the British tablespoon, so be generous with your Golden Syrup (or Honey) and Water.

5 comments:

Lynda said...

Hey Debbie. GREAT idea to post the recipe for ANZAC cookies on the blog....as luck wld have it...my DH (a diagnosed ANZAC cookie fiend) was over my shoulder...so thanks for that....I am off to the kitchen......LOL.

Lisa Hjulberg said...

Thanks for sharing this, Debbie. I had no idea about Anzac Day until now. I see it on my calendar, but had no idea of the significance. It's sort of like the US's Memorial Day, I think. Or perhaps D-Day and/or Pearl Harbor Day. So many wars, so much sacrifice. They deserve to be remembered!

Hope all your prep for Convention is well in hand and you can breathe!

Lots of hugs,
Lisa

Wellnifty said...

A bit of a long one here, I think it's wonderful that Anzac day is a public holiday in Oz & NZ, and that everyone remembers the brave men and women who have fought for their country. A few year ago I was doing our family tree and was given a photo of one of my husbands relative who had immigrated to Australia just before the 1st world war, he joined the Australian army and was sent to France to fight and was killed in action, that set me off on a task to find out more, I found some wonderful web sites on the ANZAC's and read all the letters, saw the photo's, they were so emotional. Then I found a link where I could pay a small fee and have all his army records sent to me, well I received a huge envelope containing all the details of his emigration to Australia, the land he owned, his will and his complete army history, the most amazing reading, although his pension and belongings were left to his Mum & Dad, he left his land to a lady friend in Sidney, we even have the details of the land he owned and her name, but could never find his friend. Now you try to get any info like that in England, it's a no no. I think it's great that your country remembers and your school children know, here we have armistice day but other than poppy selling, now it's just another day for most people...it's such a shame.

I can understand how you must have felt being in Singapore for the 60th anniversary and hearing your daughter sing, I would have cried too.

Chris x

Jean Fitch from jlfstudio said...

Thanks Debbie for sharing the history and details of ANZAC Day. I was always a little fuzzy about it. After watching the movie Gallipoli once I was never able to bring myself to see it again. Though it was a wonderful story and movie the sight of so many young men dying was too tearing to the heart. I daresay if women ran the world there would still be the occasional war but I bet it would be quicker, bloodier and settle a great deal more at one go than is generally the case now. Oops more than you wanted to know about my philosophy I bet.

Thanks too for explaining the difference between Tablespoon measurements. Who knew more than just the language was different - lol! That might explain why many of my British recipes end up being just a bit off and I always seem to think they don't like sweets as much as I do!

Hugs and blessings - Jean

Stamp and Smile said...

Thanks so much Debbie for sharing this info, recipe and your daughters singing experience!! So sweet... :) Now off to make these YUMMY biscuits!! TFS... and for all the lovely comments when I was gone over the weekend! :)