Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sizing Digital Stamps to Suit Your Project



Recently on Facebook a friend posed the question - "What size do you print your digis?".  I must admit I was rather surprised how many people responded with a specific size as I nearly always size to suit the project I am working on - this is one of the joys of a digi image - you aren't restricted to one size! Since I have a fairly simple technique for choosing what size to use I thought I would share - but be warned - I'm a visual person so there are lots of pictures.


I use Microsoft Word to import my photos in to print and I discovered that if I set the screen to show the page at 100% then what prints out is fairly close to the size on the screen. This works out well with my computer but it may pay to check with yours - you can always change the size on your screen by using the slider at the bottom to change the percentage.
 

Now it's time to insert the image you want - I've chosen this cute angel from Make it Crafty. When she opens up she is nearly 12cm (~5") tall.


Unfortunately this is too big if I want to use this Spellbinder frame in my project - so I hold the frame up to the computer screen and drag the corner of the image to re-size to fit.


Then I thought I may use a round Spellbinder so I pop the one I want over the image and it's too small so I need to re-size to fit so I drag the corner to make it bigger.


That's better - now she fits!


I also use this method if I want to use a particular frame like this chipboard one from Make it Crafty. Please note I have left the extra chipboard in the frame to protect it - I'll be sure to remove it before I use it on my project.


Here are my angels in all three sizes to suit my different frames.


The other thing I use my frames for is to format the images on my page for printing so I give myself enough space around to cut them out after printing.


I also use my screen to work out if I have space to print an image onto a scrap of paper if I'm only printing one image - I hold the scrap over the image - you can see it peering through faintly. I like to use all the scraps I can - LOL.


And here they are printed and cut out using the different sizes.

I managed to card up one of the gals - here she is - the largest one set into the Circle Flourish Frame.


I hope this has been a little bit of help to someone - please ask if you have any questions.

Make it Crafty Products -
Angel Singing Carols
Circle Flourish Frames
Swirly Corners Chipboard 

Copics Used - Skin (E21, E11, E000, R20, R11) plus E44, E43, E42, E41, Y28, Y19, Y00, Y0000, YR14, B0000  
 

13 comments:

Alyce Kit and Clowder said...

Love this Debs! She looks so gorgeous and that frame is stunning. Beautiful papers and colours too :)

Sue said...

Stunning card Debbie. I love the image and the colours are gorgeous

Sue

Unknown said...

stunning card debbie...love the cute angel....all the colours are perfect too hugs sassyx

Colinda said...

Beautiful card and thanks for the tips! Enjoy your sunday, colinda

Dena said...

This is amazing! Gorgeous colors, beautiful embellishments. That chipboard is reallllllly pretty around her. Love how you colored the hair!!!
Hugs, Dena

Kara Lynne said...

Thanks for showing your technique! I love to see what others are doing. You've created a beautiful card, I love all your background details!

caroline said...

thank you debbie for sharing this information with us, my son has just put windows 7 on my computer so i have found it a great help.
many thanks
caroline xxx

Kylie said...

This is so great to size your images properly and to leave enough room for the next image. I tend to waste so much when I just print out pics. I wish I was as organised as you and knew what I was doing with them BEFORE I printed them! I still remember the good old days when you told us about the 'ruler'. Remember Deb?? lol. I still chuckle. you're such a hoot.
loves ya, Charlie xo

Riet said...

So gorgeous card DEbbie.

Hugs Riet.xx

Norma said...

Debbie, thanks for doing this tute. You are my guru on the how-to's in digital stamping. I am very much a novice with digis. I have your digi tutorials bookmarked...LOL.
Hugs,
Norma

Kellie said...

Uhhhh so you have upgraded from a ruler to now stencils lol! Yes I remember lol, when we made you show us! Absolutely amazing card and gorgeous image!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

You are such a generous blog friend, Debbie! What would we do without you? Hugs xxx

leonenkarin.blogspot.com said...

Sweet card and thanks for your tutorial! Thank you for leaving your comment on my blog :D Hugs, Karin