Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Magnolia Down Under Challenge #27 - Something for Christmas



This week's challenge over at Magnolia Down Under Challenges has been a bit of fun - to make something for Christmas! Now don't get scared off - it CAN be a card! I had an idea for this Gingerbread House when I received my first edition of Magnolia Ink Magazine from The Magnolia Down Under Online Store! In the magazine there was a tutorial for an adorable birdhouse - I have basically just adapted that tutorial to make this! The major differences are that I haven't cut out the bird house "hole" and I've made the flap fold up about 1/2" below the top of the roof - so I didn't have to put a bend in poor Santa's tooshie - OUCH! It's a fairly simple box - I am very tempted to make another more elaborate one - but I was running out of time! I think a few chockies in here and it will make a great little gift for someone!

You may be wondering HOW Santa ended up HAVING a tooshie - LOL. I used a very pale pink inkpad - SU's Pink Pirouette - and my mirror image stamp to stamp Santa in reverse onto some Whisper White CS. I then free hand pencilled in Santa's back view before going over it with my Copic liner and colouring him in. I really wanted him sitting on the roof top and just couldn't come up with another background I liked to cover his back! He's sandwiched together at the top with the front of Santa and just split over the pitch of the roof.
I also made the little wreath for the front door. I punched a ring out using my 1/2" and 3/4" circle punches. The fronds were the tips off the fern punch. I used 3 different tones of green and some mini red and clear rhinestones for decoration. I've added a white pearl for a door handle too.
The mini white ric rac was found at the Paperific show last weekend - perfect!!! I punched the "lollies" out of some 2007 Cosmo Cricket DP I had - using 1 in a build-a-brad for the handle of the box - the brad was fed through a bead to before being fixed so that it sat up a bit. A magnetic clasp holds the lid shut. The roof DP is from Kaiser.

Now off you go to check out what the rest of the MDUC DT has made to inspire you. And thanx to Kellie for sponsoring the challenge with this gorgeous stamp for our winner...hmmmmm - wonder if I can enter under another name - LOL.
STOP THE PRESS!!!  Special on Magnolia Christmas Stamps at Kellie's….

From today until Wednesday, 25th of November 2009 you can get 20% OFF any Christmas stamp available in store at Magnolia Down Under. It has finally been confirmed that these gorgeous guys and gals will be arriving at Kellie's around the start of the week. The excitement from the DT is infectious so jump on board and join the fun!!! LOL.

Pop over HERE and don’t miss out!

xXx

32 comments:

Karen said...

oh good lord - FIRST TIME I tried today it let me comment! Awesome! lol

Your little gingerbread house is sooooo cute! Love how you gave santa a butt too - very tricky! lol

Karen
x

Alison said...

WOW, WOW, WOW, this is so cute. I can't believe you managed to do a back version of Santa - I love his toosh, and that gingerbread house is adorable, all the details you have managed to incorporate (love the wreath on the door) - WOW.

xox

Tracey Feeger said...

I love it Debbie. Love his tooshie. Hahaha. I was wondering how you did it. Might have to try that one.
mwah
Trace

Ramona Michaluk said...

Fabulous project Debbie - you are so clever !! Love your idea for Santa's toosh and the roof flap.

Very cute gingerbread house - I might give this one a go myself. Love your ideas - awesome as always.
Hugs,
Ramona xx

Sue said...

Debbie, your little gingerbread house is very creative and CUTE! That Santa on the rooftop is perfect and you did a great job with the back of him. Filled with chocolates, this will be a perfect little gift for both children and adults alike. LOVE IT!

Leonie said...

Aye Debbie, you have out done yourself, your work is always amazing but this has blown me away! You are awesome!!!! So much detail and creativity...

Kellie said...

Debbie when I seen this I was truly blown away. I am DEF sitting next to you at camp and rubbing my arm on yours to hope your creative mojo rubs off onto me! Your eye for detail as always is nothing short of amazing. A fantastic inspirations to all all joining us this fortnight.
Hugs, Kelx

Merry said...

Oh wow...this is amazing. You are too clever. Love the gingerbread house but I really like how you created the rear view of Santa.

Tracey said...

WOW!!! What an amazing project. Wonderful job. Thanks for sharing.

Emily said...

Holey Moley Debbie! This is too freakin' cute!!!! I love it!!!!

Marcia @ Pretty Things said...

Debbie, this is magnificent, I don't think there are words less to say ......... you've inspired me to do this challenge with something other than a card.

:) Marcia

Leigh said...

Now this is just so fantastic!!! Wow, what an effort you've put into this Debbie. Wonderful work and everything is spot on.

Sam said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! Fabulous project Debbie. It looks like it would have taken me weeks.....even if it is a 'fairly simple box'.

I am also amazed at your back view of Santa....so you drew that whole side your self? WOW. You should be designing stamps for Magnolia!

Great gift idea...I just wouldn't be able to give it away after I'd spent two weeks making it ;-).

Hugs,
Sam.

stephanne said...

So I am not the only one who has noticed that these images have cute lil hiney's, and I just love the one you've created here. Debbie, this is fabulous, beyond cute, a clever adaption of the birdhouse template and all of your papers and embellies are delightful!!

Jean McKenzie said...

Debbie, this project is just gorgeous!! I love it all but especially the way you have placed Santa and to think of having the back of him too!!!!! Love it!!

Debra James said...

What can I say except-I LOVE THIS!!!The little house you have created is sooo cute and i just cant get away from Santa and his cute Toosh hanging over the roof. So clever!!!Love it. Hugs xx

Unknown said...

I love your Christmas House and Santa sitting on the top. That will make a gorgeous gift!
Alicia xx

Annette Bowes said...

Another stunning creation, you are just too talented!! You are cheeky lol, whom else would have thought to give Santa a toosh lol! How fiddly was that wreath, just beautiful, take careX:)

Jodie from Oz said...

Debbie, OMGosh,I love love love your Gingerbread House and all your wonderful details. You are so clever, making this cute wreath & Santa's Tooshie is adorable. Love the DP & your colouring is beautiful. I can't wait to try one of these little bird houses. Thank you for the inspiration.
Hugs Jodie from Oz (Waffle 3)
P.S I laughed so hard after reading your comment re me giving birth to a puppy and then quickly reworded my post. Hahahahah

Sharon (Stitches on Mars) said...

Ok, I think I'll need 2 of these per table...what do you think? LOL
You can bring them over with you...no rush.
Deb, it is absolutley gorgeous...you are doing serious damage to my resolve. Still love ya though.

Luvya heaps (and no I'm not sucking up...do you think it would help LOL),
Shaz

dolcreations said...

Debbie this gingerbread house is just so darn cute! wow..what a great idea for Christmas!

Norma said...

Good golly gee. Debbie, this is incredible. You're such an inspiration. I love this. Ingenious idea of how you had Santa sitting on that roof. Beautiful flowers.
And yes, this would definitely make a great little gift for someone. And that would be ME!!! Don't forget the chockies! LOL.

Hugs.
Norma

Liam said...

Beautiful gingerbread house. It is just devine. Great minds think alike I was trying to make my own little house myself but I did a template and my husband said go back to the drawing board you have done other boxes better so I left it but after seeing yours it has made me get itchy fingers to try and fine tune my box. Thanks for the inspiration.
Liam

LINDA said...

OMGosh!! This is just FANTASTIC!!! I absolutely LOVE IT!!!
Hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

I adore that House! and the Santa on Top!

I would love to try this.

RenateKreativ said...

I love it, this is so very nice.

Hugs Renate

Stamp and Smile said...

This is beyond words Debbie... YOU ROCK! You sure put your heart into this project... along with some time! Well worth it... and that amazing wreath! Such fine details, but you make them look so easy... with my big fingers it can be hard. Or maybe I'm just not coordinated....ha!

SMILES and TFS... Michelle :)

Philippa Petty said...

All I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW. I love this. So creative and very clever. Thanks for sharing. Your work is fantastic as always.

Lisa Hjulberg said...

You are too much!!! What an awesome project, Debbie... a perfect Christmas decoration. And I love Santa's little tooshie! Thanks for the tutorial on the wreath, too.

Missing you across the miles,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

this is just so adorable Debbie! I had made one in Septemeber and never got around to showing it off. I am so happy to see yours! Super duper cute!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Ok ... I wonder if you can imagine my mouth hanging open??? This is absolutely the cutest gingerbread house ... and I read every word of your post to take it all in! Love it love it love it. Sorry I have been MIA. But ... am trying to catch up on some blurfing while I have a spare hour! Yep! Only 1 spare hour!!! Big hugs for popping by my blog to say hi! xxx Stampin' Hugs, Andrea

Anonymous said...

Да уж. По поводу коментариев - навеяла на меня где-то услышанная фраза:
Секс в 90 лет – это все равно, что играть в бильярд куском верёвки.